Monday, October 10, 2011

9 MONTHS!

Depending on your perspective, nine months is either long enough for God to create a baby, or not nearly long enough to live in one house. Like I said, its all a matter of perspective. Whichever view you lean towards the period of time is concrete at least to our human understanding. During that length of time in the most recent history of my life I find gross number of experiences I have been blessed with incredible. 
         During this time I have entered my 10 country and 3rd continent.
        I have eaten sea creatures I both didn't know existed, and others I wish still didn't.
       I have sat on the floor more while eating than I did during my entire childhood at play. (possible                                                                                         slight exaggeration there. ;)
  My world has been flipped upside down when it comes to conversation! I have been in a world where                        .   instead of being able to have higher levels of conversation in my own tongue with elders, it is the youth                  .    Just when I thought I had  perspective, it all changed.
       I have been in a world where Biggie-sized drinks are dwarfed but the human desire for repeated-      .           .       refills are the same.
.         To attempt to once again, gain a perspective I would reach for something I knew, like coffee.
.           NOPE! Finally my persistence has payed off, but for the first month I was truly terror stricken that .          Millions of people in Korea believed coffee came pre-measured small packages containing 8% .         .         coffee imitation, and it was the best coffee ever!
         Just when I thought I had perspective it all changed.
.       Before coming to this beautiful land of mystery and adventure, I didn't suspect I would go through              .      culture shock.
.     Wrong!
      Just when I thought I had perspective, it all changed.
     I stepped into a world where space has become so limited that to put the word personal before it would .   be selfish.
  Even though I originally, and sometimes do still struggle with that, I can now begin to see the beauty .    .     within it. A common thought among many westerners when visiting this land is to think that things . .       are done wrong. Then they hear other say "not wrong, just different". Then they play along with .                                               .         the phrase while still believing inside that it is wrong and and "not as "good" as my  country/culture". Then there are about two more groups of people. Two groups between which I .              tend to categorize myself. The two groups are those who can see that there little things that are different about this land and people that flows in a beautiful way, and, those who have been able to fully embrace the culture and breath it in so that they begin to become part of it, not just a piece of debris floating aloft like yellow dust.

If there is one important glint of light I have been able to harness in my retina long enough to enjoy its beauty, it is that sometimes even things that appear to not make sense, like run on sentences, improper word usage, ridonculus words that only half the people understand and cultures on the other side of the world, like the format and out-l;i,n.:E of this paper can be crazy, but you have to look beyond that, and listen to it with your heart. Sometimes to see what God is trying to show us, we have to quit trying to figure it all out, and be still, listen, trust, follow, and know... He Is G-D! ;) pEaCe BEEE wit ya! Batter Up!?



       
 

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your heart, Kris. It's good to hear from you, and how life is overseas.