Thursday, June 30, 2011

Testing afternoon

Well, today is the last of four days this week that our High School students have testing. They prepared Monday, and test Tuesday through Saturday. I always wanted to be the teacher in High school, just getting to sit there and relax instead of sweating bullets and wondering how badly I was going to fail. By the time I was in University I accepted that my forte was not testing and there was nothing I could do about changing who I was. I worked on testing techniques, study techniques, memorizing techniques, learning techniques, and though it helped a little, it didn't help enough. I finally embraced that on paper I was not going to look like the best student, or what the government calls a student. I realized I was going to have to do my learning and performance and rising of my average grade through the homework I was given. Even though it might be more time consuming, there must be a better way of evaluating students understanding of taught content than through written evaluation solely. Comments anyone?
Ideas?

No comments: